Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Culture Revolution

The article Dr. Strange wrote has alot of valid points in it. It talks about the differences in reading and writing and all the opportunities that are availble to us on the internet. Looking back I remember that in elementary school we had to read books then take quizes on them on the computer: Accelerated reader. But as we got older the assignments required that we read less and less. Our teachers would read to us, or ask us to watch videos on the internet instead. As a consequence I cant stand to read. I would much rather watch the movie or have my teacher inform me about books.

In my college classes today Im required to write papers, make websites, create blogs, there are less and less cases of reading books and handwriting papers. Almost every assignment is online. At my community college I didnt even have to print anything out, I submitted my papers to drop boxes and websites which read my papers and graded them for my teachers. The teaching methods and curriculum are changing greatly every year. It makes you wonder what kind of work our students will be doing in the next few years. There are less and less opportunites to read and write. And more opportunites to explore the interent. Dr. Stranges article predicted these things, and are being proved everyday we go to class.

No comments: